A long list of reasons why Obama doesn’t deserve the Nobel “Peace” Prize.
Obama has won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize, having been nominated for it just two weeks into his Presidency.
Let’s take a look at some of the reaction.
The announcement came as a surprise — Obama’s name had not been mentioned among front-runners — and the roomful of reporters in Oslo, Norway, gasped when he was named. (I’m sure it was out of “respect.”)
And how will it be used?
Via Washington Post:
Winning the Nobel Prize will allow Obama to go to his divided Democratic caucus and make the case far more forcefully that the time is now to stay united behind him on Afghanistan.
Uch. Can you get any more disgusting? A peace prize being used to justify an expanded war into Afghanistan. By the way, according to National Security Advisor Jim Jones, Afghanistan has less than 100 Al Qaeda in it. (What?)
Oh, and here’s a picture from Afghanistan, the likes of which we don’t typically see in America, you know, so as to not distract from the war effort.
Well, this award is largely for what Obama might do. Let’s take a look at what he has done:
* War mongered against Iran, even though he has known about this facility for at least a year, and has known of all sensitive materials that were moved into it for at least 6 months.
* Been hypocritical on torture: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
* Expanded the war in Afghanistan.
* Supported a fraudulent election in Afghanstian, in which Karzai, used the assistance of a one of the country’s “most notorious militia leaders” to gain support.
* Says he will leave up to 50,000 troops in Iraq even after “ending military operations.”
* Extended Blackwater’s (aka Xe’s) military contracts, Blackwater which has gone virtually unaccountable for its crimes.
* Expanded the use of military contractors.
* Helped give us an annual $1.4 trillion deficit, 3 times larger than the previous largest annual deficit.
* Hypocritical on the Defense of Marriage Act and Don’t Ask Don’t Tell.
* Says he does not need Congressional authority to hold detainees indefinitely.
* Continues to spy on peace groups through “fusion centers.”
* Issued signing statements, meaning that he will selectively choose to enforce parts of a law.
* Withdrew support for a bill to force financial firms to offer at least some “plain vanilla” products.
* Reappointed Bernanke, who espouses the same easy credit policies of Greenspan.
* Proposes to make the Fed a “super-regulator” when they are not equipped for such a job, and did not regulate adequately in the lead up to the financial crisis.
* Allows the Fed to monetize more debt, against the charter of the Fed, and partake in “quantitative easing.”
* Will not release White House visitor logs in a transparent fashion.
* Supports swine flu propaganda and police state measures associated with it, including the mandatory vaccination of 1.4 million Americans in the military.
* Allows the Federal Housing Authority, which provides nearly 40% of all mortgages, to go down the same road of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae.
* Attempts to protect ATT from prosecution by saying they are an “intra-governmental” agency.
* Flip-flopped on whether he thinks journalist should be forced to reveal sources. He now thinks they should.
* Continues to support Colombian military government, and has refused to let a Colombian civil rights advocate enter the country.
* Supports the growing trend of police militarization.
* Has the American tax payer on the hook for up to $23.7 trillion in stimulus and bailouts, while the unemployment rate continues to rise.
* Continues to use misleading unemployement figures.
* Misrepresents the facts, 2, 3, and costs, 2, 3, of Health Care/Insurance bill, including the $80 billion in savings from the insurance industry he so highly touted.
* Allows military to “award arms globocorp General Dynamics a $10m contract to set up a network of psychological-warfare “influence websites” supporting the Global War On Terror.”
* Allows staff to collect web users’ data without notice, and use it for questionable purposes.
* Pushed to continue provisions from the Patriot Act, including the “Lone Wolf” provision.
* Has only attempted to “suspend” $30 million in aid for the Honduran military government that overthrew democratically-elected President Zelaya, when they could withhold $150 million.
* Allows SEC inactivity even though their lack of oversight of the financial industry is one of the main things that has gotten us in this mess: 1, 2, 3, 4
* Has continued “extraordinary rendition.”
* Supports the President having control of the internet in case of an “emergency.”
* Held a phone conference with 1,000 Rabbis to try to get them to support his health care plan during Rosh Hashanah services.
* Won’t show contract given to company to build website to increase transparency of the bailout.
* Reversed pledge to renegotiate NAFTA.
* Waited until August to finalize TARP lobbying rules.
* Has been uncooperative with attempts to make his adminstration more transparent, 2.
* Claims that the U.S. Government is completely immune from litigation for illegal spying.
* Suggested that veterans should use their own private insurance to pay for injuries incurred in the line of duty.
* Pushed for bailout while the Democratic Presidential candidate.
* Supports Bush’s plan of school privitization.
* Refuses to follow through on campaign promise to fund 20 different projects based on the Harlem Children’s Zone, despite the fact that Education Secretary controls over $5 billion in funds, the most ever for an Education Secretary.
* Broke campaign promise of allowing five days of public comment before signing a bill.
* Appointee Rahm Emmanuel attempted to intimidate Senator John Kyl with the threat of federal stimulus money being withheld from his state.
* Appointee Rahm Emmanuel thinks US citizens on the No-Fly List should not be able to own guns, despite the fact that the ACLU estimates that over 1,000,000 Americans are on the No-Fly List.
* Appointee Eric Holder helped negotiate a settlement on behalf of Chiquita Brands in a Colombian death squad case, and also filed an amicus brief on behalf of the state in DC vs Heller, in which the state tried to argue that individuals did not have a right to gun ownership.
* Appointed former chief Monsanto lobbyist to head the FDA.
* Worked in close conjunction with Phrma lobbyist Billy Tauzin on health care legislation.
* Continues to allow 2/3rds of US corportations to avoid paying income tax.
* Has attended weekly prayer meeting of fascist political lobbying group “The Family,” as has his Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who describes Family leader Doug Coe as a “genuinely loving spiritual mentor.”
* Supported FISA bill that “allows the President to grab all incoming and outgoing international communications without a warrant.”
Hope and Change! Hope and Change!
Filed under: politics | Tagged: joke, Nobel Peace Prize, obama, WTF |